Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Questions?

Asking Questions!

Asking Questions?

I remember starting my second year of teaching.  I had moved to Winnipeg, settled into our new home, which was walking distance from my new school.  I spent the summer preparing for my courses: Kindergarten - Grade Five general music, Gr. 6-9 Band, a mixture of choral, jazz, concert band and drama.  I was truly excited about how I was going to be apart of a community.

The school was a small, city school.  We had a diversity of incomes.  Each grade had approximately one and half classes per grade and I had the glory of teaching every student in the building.  I am not being sarcastic with this statement.  I truly saw this as a blessing; one that I shared with the physical  education instructor!

Within three months I saw a remarkable trend.  As the students progressed in age, their eagerness to answer questions dwindled.  I would ask the Kindersmartens a question and hands would wave in the air. The whole class, not one hesitating, wanting to share their thoughts and ideas.  In grade two, the zest for hand waving showed a decline, but not a dismal showing.  By grade five, only a select few would dare to talk when asked to share ideas.  By grade seven, leaders of discussion were clearly established amongst the learners.  By grade nine, I could predict who would respond and what they would say.

Why this decline in my students ability to share thoughts, feelings, ideas, concepts?

Worried that I may be attributing to problem, I researched questioning methods, became aware of my expected time allowance for their responses and I asked a mentor teacher in the staffroom for their thoughts.   "It's just what happens!" was the response.

Now, many years later, I find myself asking the same question.  Why do students hesitate to share ideas, thoughts, feelings, concepts?

So...  I have decided to ask my currently grade twelve class...

How do you feel when you want to answer a question posed in the classroom?

How much time do you think is reasonsable for a teacher to wait for an answer?

Is there something, (like confidence, fear, or a memory), that stops you from sharing your thought?

I will post my findings!

No comments:

Post a Comment