Monday, April 3, 2017

Another Question of the Day

April 3, 2017


Pretend you have special powers and you could put yourself in your reading.


Where would you put yourself and why?


How would you being there change the story?


Example:
While reading The Art of Racing in the Rain...
I would drop myself into the scene when Eve leaves Enzo all alone in the house.
I would be a veterinarian that specializes in animal rescue.  A neighbour called me, as they heard Enzo barking but did not see the daily routine of having him let out and the house was too quiet of human activity.
I break into the house and take Enzo to my shelter. I leave a note and number for Denny (although I don't know his name) and he comes to me furious for having taken his dog.  We piece together the happenings and realize what Eve has done, leaving Enzo unattended.


AM I DONE?
Not quite, I still have to explain the why and explain if the story will change...


I have a need to place myself in the story as the rescue agent because this is one of the hardest parts of the book for me to read.  I actually cried the first time I read all the suffering that Enzo went through during this scene.
This scene is very important because Eve has issues and Denny has no clue to the state of his wife.  The story needs Eve to make this mistake, and Enzo really suffers because of her actions.  My empathy for Enzo drives me to want to lessen his suffering.
The story still needs Eve's mistake and my interjection doesn't take this mistake away.  Denny will still have to face the facts and the plot still moves forward with Enzo's horrific abandon scene still in existence demonstrating the true love and loyalty between Enzo and Denny.

No comments:

Post a Comment